...the number of driving miles we traveled on our vacation! We went on vacation for a week, we've been back over a week now, and here I am. Driving is a great way to see the country, and traffic wasn't too bad!
Let's see...we started out on May 30, left home at 5 am (Glen wanted to leave at 4!) It was a Saturday, and our main concern was getting through Phoenix where traffic is just horrible. We stopped in Barstow, CA for the night and finally made it to Mariposa, CA, where we'd make our home for the next 4 days. Because it was still early, we decided to drive the 40+ miles to Yosemite on Sunday afternoon. I realize its a national park, but geez...there were a lot of people!! Most of the license plates were CA, and because Yosemite is easily accessible, its easy to see why a Sunday drive sounds like a good idea.
Let's see...we started out on May 30, left home at 5 am (Glen wanted to leave at 4!) It was a Saturday, and our main concern was getting through Phoenix where traffic is just horrible. We stopped in Barstow, CA for the night and finally made it to Mariposa, CA, where we'd make our home for the next 4 days. Because it was still early, we decided to drive the 40+ miles to Yosemite on Sunday afternoon. I realize its a national park, but geez...there were a lot of people!! Most of the license plates were CA, and because Yosemite is easily accessible, its easy to see why a Sunday drive sounds like a good idea.
The area is rich in history with the native americans that made their home in the valley. We did a little hiking in Mariposa Grove home of some giant sequoias. Man, these trees are huge. Just to give some perspective, this picture of the Tunnel Tree shows the trunk of a sequoia where a chunk of it was cut out way back in the day to make room for stagecoaches to run through it.
Tunnel Tree
The picture below shows Glen standing in the opening! The trunk is huge! Standing in the opening gives a strange sensation, makes you feel so insignificant and mundane in the whole scheme of things! If these giants could talk, the stories they could tell!
Next on our trip, was Death Valley. Now why would we go to Death Valley, considering we live in AZ where we get quite enough heat?? Well, we've never been and it was a contrast in environments from Yosemite.
We visited Badwater Basin, named because during the old west days, maybe the gold rush of 1849, some prospectors tried to get their mules to drink the water at this spring, but it was too salty, so they called it bad water! The picture to the right, where it looks light, are actually salt flats! To the touch, it almost feels like clay, and it is moist. You can tell where people dug holes in the earth to reveal water not too deep.
We also visited Scotty's Castle
Death Valley National Park - Scotty's Castle (U.S. National Park Service) Very interesting story, and it is along the lines of Hearst Castle in CA. I didn't get any pictures here, but it was beautiful, and the history is fascinating. The other thing about Death Valley is that I didn't have phone service, no texting, and we didn't have internet service, unless you paid $15 per day! No thanks, we'll just remain out of pocket for a few days - easier said than done. By Saturday morning, I had to call my mom!
We drove home on Sunday, 6/7, took us a little over 12 hours to get home. We take our time, no rush, and of course, we stop at every rest area possible! Need I say more...
Talk soon...

9 comments:
First time I noticed your picture ... you are a cute woman!
My friend and I talk about going to the Grand Canyon ... and I told her that I also want to do Death Valley. She isn't going to drive there, but I did get her to agree to do as much driving when we get there as possible!
Loved the pictures ... and the stories behind the places you visited. Thanks for sharing.
Looks like an awesome trip. I miss the Califonria mountins. We are going to do Route 66 and Grand Canyon in 2011, can't wait :o)
i love how you go into detail and describe everything for us..thank you....i would love to go on the trip you went on....but no mountain climbing for me. Lovely pics too. XO glad you and Glen enjoyed yourselves!
That sounds wonderful, and such a different environment from what we're used to! Like Ken said, we're looking forward to traveling in the Southwest. I never have, and I'm really interested to experience that terrain. Glad you had such a great trip! Hugs, Beth
Yosemite is one of my favorite places & there were times back then when it really was sparse(people-wise), which was so lovely. Any hot looking guys scaling El Capitan? Almost any time I was there some group of beautiful climbers were there as well. Ok, everyone goes off the set trails a little, but not so far out as to plunge to their death. Glad you took it easy coming home & that you had such a nice time. ~Mary
Nice trip. Love the pictures that you posted..I'm ready for a vacation..lol.
Happy Belated Anniversary!
Sheri
I envy your trip to Yosemite. I'd really like to go there sometime.
It sounds like you and Glen had a great time.
By the way, Happy Birthday!
Jimmy
Hi Myra,
Happy Belated Birthday ! Sorry I'm a little late in stopping by.
My grandma was one of those Europeans that you would've run into, lol.
Nice pictures, and it sounds like you and Glen had a wonderful trip.
I've never really taken a good American road trip like you did, I hope to get to do that someday.
Thanks for sharing :)
Thank you for this great journey you took us on. A thinks for the pictures. I went through Death Valley at night in a car full of people, didn't see a thing. DB
Post a Comment