Thursday, October 1, 2009

Where I've been...

One down, 3 to go...quarters of school, that is! I just completed 11 weeks of Massage Therapy school. Hard to believe that in mid-July, I was a naive student, never having a full body massage without my panties (I know, TMI!), and here I am now, disrobing with people I didn't know 3 months ago! It is truly a great program with an accredited institution, and that is all they do - Massage Therapy instruction. I looked at another school in town, the one my son graduated from 2 years ago, and it was less expensive, however, the school I chose, is preferred and recognized by my workplace. I work at a premiere health resort, and if its good enough for them, its good enough for me! Anyway, I managed 2 A's, and 2 B's. Surprisingly, one of the B's (88%) was in Muscles and Kinesiology - not bad for a gal that's been out of school for well over 30+ years! Second quarter begins 10/5 and goes through mid-December. The classes will become increasingly difficult, I'm sure, plus a Saturday class has been added to the curriculum.

I received my massage table mid quarter, and I need to practice, however, when do I have time??!! Between work, school, and just life in general, I am one busy girl! Glen agreed to let me practice on him a couple of weeks ago, and he said "ouch" too many times. His feedback was "when the client says ouch, you should probably stop!" What!!?? I can fix your tight fascia! I can alleviate muscle tightness by loosening the fibers by working them in different directions! Needless to say, Glen will not be a guinea pig for future practice. He is not cooperative!

Work has picked up gradually, and we are heading into the high season. Occupancy a couple of weeks ago was at 80%!! Whoo hoo...we haven't been at that level for at least 15-18 months! I attended a guest lecture yesterday by a staff clairvoyant, and there were about 25 guests. During the summer, lectures were mostly attended by staff to fill seats, maybe 5-6 people.

Anyway, just checking in. I hope to write more in the next couple of weeks, but if I don't, you know where I am!! Talk soon...

9 comments:

Missie said...

Congratulation on the therapy massage school. I heard massage therapy is a great occupation to get into right now.

Senorita said...

So nice to hear from you.

I would love your massages, I need someone who really works my muscles.

I was told I need regular massages around my shoulders, head and jaw. I have TMJ, and an arthritic jaw, and the tightness in my shoulders and my neck come into play with my condition.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

slj said...

Congratulations! My tension is always in my left shoulder and neck. Ugh..I haven't had a massage in 10 years..I loved it, other than having a hard time breathing when I was laying face down..lol. I should have just turned my head to the side rather than using the pillow with the hole in it..lol.
Good luck with the second quarter. Keep up those great grades.
Sheri

Big Mark 243 said...

The first time I had an 'offical' massage after a boxing match, IT HURT!!

But the relaxation afterwords was worth every moment of what I thought was pain.

Massage therapy ... I am going to get back to you on that once I get settled on the East Coast ... wouldn't it be wonderful if I could get certification and the SFC a job at Ft. Huachuca?

I know, the places prolly aren't related, but it is a thought ... and you never know what else springs from that inspriation!

Beth said...

Glad to hear all is well, Myra, and congrats on your good grades! You get a gold star! :)

Also wonderful to hear that things are picking up at work. I hope this is an indicator of positive things to come. Hugs, Beth

Ken Riches said...

Congrats on a great first quarter :o)

kelly said...

great job on your grades.. my daughter is also interested in massage therapy.. hard work. Glad to hear things are picking up for you.. and nice to see a post from you.. good luck!!
Kelly~

Jimmy's Journal said...

Nice to hear from you!

Congratulations on your progress in school. I look forward to future entries.

Jimmy

Mik said...

Tell Glen that if he isn't co-operative, you'll massage him so hard that you'll cramp him up...lol

Mik