Happy New Year!! I slept through all the festivities last night...not that we go out partying on the last night of the year, but in our neighborhood, shooting firearms and illegal fireworks are the norm to ring in the new year. Last night...I didn't hear a sound. That doesn't mean my neighbors suddenly became considerate and refrained from this type of dangerous behavior...no, just means I slept through it.
Ok, I have to say it...we lost...badly, worse than bad, embarassing bad. My sister and I went to the Holiday Bowl, drove up Wednesday morning, arrived in San Diego about 11 am. The hotel was gracious enough to let us check in early, so we were able to freshen up before heading out the Qualcomm Stadium. The hotel was about 1.5 miles from the stadium, and the last thing we wanted was to have to deal with traffic. The concierge at the hotel advised us that we could park at a mall a couple miles north of the stadium, and take the trolley to the stadium. We drove to the mall, and as soon as we turned onto mall property, there is a sign: Qualcomm parking not allowed; violators will be towed. YIKES!! We drove around the mall trying to find the trolley station, but I had an uneasy feeling that just my luck, my car would be the one towed! If you recall...just my luck, when I purchased my tickets, I ended up getting 2 pair (4 tickets), and charged for both. My confidence in the UofA ticket office was shaken enough to not have them cancel a set, lest they cancel the ones we would try to use at the gate...long story short...we decided to park at the stadium, $15, Row H3. We got there pretty early because the concierge told us to get there early, he should know, right...he lives in San Diego. Ok, we'll get there early, so we decided to just grab something to eat at the stadium. They didn't have any concession stands, rather, a catered tailgate event that was $50 per person...now, is it just me or is that expensive?? It didn't even include a whole lot to eat, and it was a cash bar! We decided to wait until the gates opened, so 2.5 hours later, 1.5 hours before game time, some of the gates opened, not all (whats that about?); we found an open gate, and got a hot dog, $7, hot chocolate $5.75, water $5.25. Don't even think about a beer, $8 domestic. It was raining, so we got a poncho, $5. Not that we didn't take enough cash, its just that I hate to part with it! It started raining right before kick-off, then continued on and off during the game, good thing we got those ponchos! We were on the very top level, view level they call it...highlight of the game were when 3 Navy seals parachuted out of a plane and due to the breeze, appeared to be off target, however they were able to "steer" and landed right smack dab in the middle of the field! It was awesome. At halftime, 200 marines unfurled a flag the size of the whole football field, now that was awesome!!! One of the best firework shows rounded the halftime festivities. The rain continued, people drank more and more...a guy sitting behind us walked or I should say staggered out of his row, stumbled and almost fell right on top of my sister and I. Luckily, the people right behind us, caught him before he fell full force onto us. He never came back. There were a couple of altercations between fans right around us, police responded, not sure what they were about but profanities abounded, and you can be sure alcohol was a factor. By the time we decided to leave, 6:18 left in the third quarter, it was misting pretty steady...trying to find the car, hey it was in H3 wasn't it. We walked up and down the row...nada. My sister and I got separated (I am directionally challenged anyway), so I decided to let her find the car, and I'll just stop moving. Right on cue, cell phone rings, sis says, "where are you?" "By the port-a-potty, I'll wait for you" So now, we're trying to make our way out of the parking lot, and just get back to the hotel, we're hungry, wet, and cold. Almost an hour later, to travel that 1.5 mile, we are at the bar, drinking a beer and having dinner. What a night! Nebraska 33, UA 0.
As we drove home yesterday, we agreed that while the outcome of the game wasn't what we would have liked, it was a great experience. We really had a great time, laughed a lot, talked about anything and everything...my sis is so funny, and just shared thoughts. This was a true bonding experience...glad we went!
Oh, and that extra pair of tickets, chalk it up to experience. There were posted signs everywhere stating that the re-selling of tickets was unlawful (as if I didn't know). My luck, I would have sold to an undercover cop, and been thrown in the pokey. Yeah, try to explain that one!!
Talk soon...
Friday, January 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I have the same kind of luck you have in those situations.
Happy New Year !
Happy New Year!
Sometimes it is all in the experience. In 1984, I went to the Rose Bowl and watched my Fighting Illini get humuliated. It was one of the best 10 days of my life :o)
Glad you had fun.
Sotty about the game. Happy New Year!
Jimmy
I'm with Ken. Bowl trips aren't about winning the game. It's about getting out and using your team as an excuse for a vacation. If you stayed in the Circle there is a trolley stop real close. The traffic something, huh?
It's all about the memories..lol.
Glad you had a good time.
Happy New Year!
Hugs,Sheri
Post a Comment