Monday, February 2, 2009

It wasn't in the Cards...

Glen and I got up early Sunday morning, 6 am, stopped at a local breakfast in Catalina, Sunnyside Up, and headed out into the hills. Glen and his family used to do lots of 4 wheeling and camping, hiking and looking for old artifacts. This was way back in the late 60's, early 70's, when it was ok to remove stuff from sites (or at least it wasn't yet illegal). We have old horseshoes, bottles, rocks, pieces of metal shards, etc. Fascinating stuff! Actually, the little bottles are really cute. When I first moved in, I wanted to display them, but they're kind of dirty, muddy...so I was going to wash them. Glen said, NOOOOO!! Glen and his family would like to eventually turn over all this stuff to the historical society on behalf of his parents. Anyway, 30 years ago, behind Biosphere 2 (Google it), but the road ended at the gate. We tried a few other roads, but there is a lot of mining going on back there. According to our GPS, we were in the correct place, it just wasn't what Glen remembered. We turned back, stopped in Oracle at our nephew's TruValue hardware store for a bit, and headed back out toward Peppersauce Canyon. We found a couple of caves where Glen used to spelunk back in the day. Kind of scary...we didn't go in, but it clear that people go up there to party. Lots of graffiti on the walls, trash. We headed back around 1:30 pm. We used to do this a lot, before Glen started working OT, so it was good to spend time together. He/we both need the down time!

We grilled some steaks outside, it was about 70F today, beautiful day!! Baked some potatoes, had some baked beans, peach pie, and settled in for the game. No, the Cards didn't win, they actually beat themselves. You don't win football games with the amount of penalties they had. They gave a valiant effort in the end, but it was too little too late. Right after the Fitzgerald touchdown, Comcast aired 30 seconds of porn, then returned to the game!! OMG...it was a full frontal of the male. At first I thought it was a commercial in very poor taste, then it was there!!! No one knows what happened, and I believe it was a local issue, but can you imagine if kids were watching, which they probably were. You'd think there would be measures in place to prevent this type of thing!

Anyway...back to work today. Talk soon...

7 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like a fun day of treasure-hunting. I love doing stuff like that!

I'm sorry about the Cards. Ken and I were both cheering them on and we really were yelling! I think you're right--they had way too many penalties, which I think hurt their momentum and ultimately cost them the game.

Myra, your rolls were fantastic!!! We could only eat two of them (I made four) and I'm going to warm the other two up for dinner tonight. I love the combination of the cheese and green chilies. YUM!

I heard about the Comcast thing on CNN today!! LOL We have satellite, so we missed it. I guess I can laugh about it, but if I had kids watching the game, I probably wouldn't be laughing!

Hugs, Beth

Remo said...

There's lots of gold and minerals up in that area. I love knocking around in the desert for old stuff.

Of course, I never t-a-k-e any of it...lol

Big Mark 243 said...

See where Beth mentioned your rolls ... next time I do them, I am going to try to follow the recipe exactly.

As I watch ESPN, there were several issues that are LEGITMATE gripe, to say the game was stolen from the Cards, or at least the opportunity to win.

After the game winning catch, there SHOULD have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Santonio Holmes acted like he was Le Bron James, sprinkingl powder on his hand and throwing it in the air.

15 yards on the kickoff, changes the field position, FOR SURE, NOT FOR PLAY.

The last Arizona play, why wasn't it an incompletion? There was another play where it look MORE like a fumble, but it was incomplete. You have to wonder, because those weren't small issues, and they were fairly glaring.

The glow from the competitiveness of the game is covering up the missed calls. And I did want the Steelers to win more than the Cards, but I like Kurt Warner's story, and would have been happy if Arizona won as well.

Big Mark 243 said...

Dag ... forgot to mention your hiking ... I want to walk the Valley of Fire ... have you ever been? I am sure y'all have plenty of great places to walk. I don't know if I would be bothered by the encroachment ... to be on the grounds would be enough for me.

lisa said...

full frontal, huh? I actually would have enjoyed that more than the game. Glad that you and Glen got out and enjoyed your time together. XO

Ken Riches said...

Good game, but the Cards just did seal the deal. Glad you had a fun day.

*Tracy* said...

hope ur week is going good! take care. hugs