Tonight I had my Neuromuscular Technique & Sports Massage class. We paired up and were able to do a full body massage for one whole hour. We are incorporating what we've learned thus far, last quarter and this quarter. Each instructor has their own techniques for the same stroke and as we are developing our own style, we take a lil' bit o' this and lil bit o'that and attempt to put it into practice. What I like about the Tuesday night class is the instructor basically leaves us to our own devices, uninterrupted. It allows us to use critical thinking skills when we come across a muscle that is tight or rolls, and trigger points in the body that refer pain to other areas. For example, most people have a trigger point just medial of the inferior angle of the scapula. Upon palpating it, you can feel it. Putting pressure on this trigger point by allowing your finger to sink deep, can cause pain or tingling in the hand or biceps. By applying pressure, and not moving your fingers, you can feel the point "melt". Then you can do some deep strokes to continue the massage. Not everyone's trigger points are the same, but most people have them somewhere in the body.
We "hold" tension, stress, etc. in the muscles (thus the need for massage), it is also possible to hold emotions in our muscles. It is very common to feel an emotional release while receiving a massage. Tonight was my first encounter with such an event, however, I was the one giving the massage! I had read about this phenomenom and had witnessed it in class. There is one classmate that always cries, but it hadn't happened to me. I didn't know what to do. When I finished the massage on Samantha, I saw the sheet under her face looked wet, I asked he if she was ok. She said, no she needed some tissue. I got her some tissue and she just released the tears. I went to the instructor to let her know what was happening. The instructor came over and cradled her head, and just kind of let her know it was ok, let it happen, and just take her time getting off the table. It was a good 10 minutes to regain her composure. Now it was my turn to receive massage from Sam, and I was unable to relax completely because I was afraid that her emotional state could transfer onto me, which is also a reality. I've had massages from Sam before, and she is usually really good. I could tell tonight she was "off". She had had a very stressful day at work and that could have been a factor to her emotional state when she got to class. She works with mildly mentally challenged young adults, and assists with deaf and blind popultations at her job. She is always stressed. I hope she can get some rest.
The above situation is something I need to be prepared for. While I know this is a very common occurance, I must admit it threw me for a loop! I have to understand that the person on the table is my client, and I am working as a massage therapist. I don't know their mental, emotional, spiritual state...I'm working on the physical, but its all wrapped into one package. An emotional release is the client's way of allowing pent up stressors to come to the forefront. The client is unable to control it either. It is also not up to me to "fix" it. I can be sympathetic, empathetic, and I can listen, but I cannot give advice. The relationship must remain professional. I must draw lines and adhere to them. Even when I am working on a family member, I have to maintain the professional air. I still have so much to learn!!
Work has been so busy! I've transcribed 6 meetings, 19 pages each, for the last week and a half. It is tedious having to listen to people spew their propaganda, but I do learn about the business in the process. I've also learned that some of the people on the Executive team don't do a whole lot, but they sure have titles that relate their importance...NOT!
I really should be studying! Talk soon...
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Nice to see you back up here.
I am getting a massage on Thursday. The lady is awesome, and I like it when she digs her fingers into my muscles.
It was interesting to hear you speak of the emotional side of getting a massage. Now it seems so obvious that getting caught up in the surge of emotions from a client is something that would happen.
There isn't anything more intimate than touching another person, caressing them to provide comfort and relief. From what you describe, you are able to release all the built up tensions in a person and that means you are doing very well.
Post a Comment