Did you see the moon tonight? What a beautiful sight! I love the full moon as it casts shadows and illuminates the night. I've even gotten up from bed thinking the back porch light had been left on only to find it was the brightness of the moon!
I will be starting week 3 of the 3rd quarter of Massage Therapy School, as I continue the march towards graduation in June. Each quarter becomes progressively more demanding in the work required and the effort to master techniques. Granted, I want the person givng me massage to be knowledgable, personable, and client centered when I am the client, and that remains my focus - provide the service I would want to recieve. I can emphatically say I am not there yet, however, I am working toward that end.
I've talked about the Monday night class, Special Populations. A week from Monday, we will be assigned a client with some type of condition or disability. We will establish a client/therapist relationship with this person, providing therapeutic massage, monitor progress, and if no progress is made, then maintaining the current level of health, whatever that may be. Last Monday night, I had to present a short paper on Strokes, the definition, signs and symptoms, whether massage is indicated and benefits derived from receiving treatment. The conclusion I came to, from what I read, is that massage helps to aleviate pain and anxiety, and cannot be administered for weeks or even months after a stroke. If there is neurological damage, then massage may not be indicated as the client may not be able to feel pressure. We must also work with the clients' health care team to ensure no further harm is caused. On Tuesay night I have an Ethics and Communications class, which is one of my favorite classes. We talk about current events, how ethics and/or communications comes into play. Very interesting to discuss in an open forum. This particular instructor was a TA for one of my classes in the first quarter so I know him and like his style of teaching. He works at a local resort and always shares anecdotes of his clients, real stories, some funny, some not so much, but to give a taste of situations we may encounter in our practice. Wednesday night is Myofascial Techniques...hurt me, baby!! I love this class...it is hands on, and allows us to practice. Fascia is a continuous web of connective tissue throughout our body. When this web becomes restricted due to stress, trauma, sedentary lifestyle, etc. it can cause postural misalignments, pain, may form to the muscle causing adhesions. In order to release the fascia, massage techniques to release the fascia or unstick it from the muscles, can cause pain, but its a good pain. Sometimes after massage if you are sore, it can be due to fascia release if you've asked for deep tissue work. I, personally, like deep work as I know I need it. Some people are sensitive to deep pressure and it can be due to hypertonic fascia. There are really so many variables to what can be causing pain, and only through an in depth interview with the client can you form a recipe for treatment. Saturday clinics are challenging as we have 3 massages in 4 hours, 15 minutes between clients to hydrate, go to the restroom, eat(?), write up notes on what we observed...yikees...last week was tough! Thursday night is Anatomy, Pathology & Physiology - I don't even want to talk about that class! Let's just say it will be challenging to remain focused...
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...talk soon...
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wow Myra, sounds like you're really doing well. Keep at it girl!
Jimmy
Myra, it all sounds very interesting. Glad you're enjoying it as much as you do:)
Time is going by so fast,before you know it you will be graduating.
Have a great week-end,
Hugs, Sheri
Keep up the great work, June will be here before you know it. Knead some Muscle Monday :o)
All right, you're licensed and have a career. I'm happy for that!
Now take five minutes and post something. How about a picture of your diploma or graduation?
Jimmy
How are things going for you? I miss hearing about what's going on:)
It has been nice seeing you drop by.
Sheri
Post a Comment