Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nana's & Happy Meals or Happy Nana's & Meals...

I've had so much going on in the last couple of weeks, heavy emotional loss, then I got sick. Truly, I believe that I got this cold for just being physically depleted. I was just sick in January of this year, and I almost never get sick!

My son Chris and his wife Christina have split up after 11 years of marriage. They have 3 kids, 10, 7, & 3...just babies. The really tragic thing, and I am ashamed to say, is that Chris has left his family. I know that they have struggled financially for much of their marriage, but I lay much of that blame on Chris. Where most men/fathers would be working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet, he worked only 1 job, barely making over minimum wage to support his family. I realize that it takes two to make a marriage work, as it takes 2 to let it fail. I have suggested counseling, for several years, to no avail. They, he, just won't. She is willing, he prefers to throw in the towel. I spoke with him 2 weeks ago, and I was very angry with him. I hung up on him because I did not want to say things I would regret. I did tell him the ball is in his court. We have not spoken since. I have visited the kids, and helped Christina clean the house, sort through stuff...she is a wreck, the kids are traumatized. She works part time so that she can have the time off with the kids, so she will have to get a full time job. Jobs are hard to come by these days. I don't know what will happen. Her mom is going through some serious health problems...diabetes has affected her sight, and she just had surgery to repair a detached retina. She can hardly help out with the kids. Chris is staying with my mom right now where he is cocooned in a safe world. What about his kids?? I just don't understand him, and I am shocked that this has happened. All part of the circle huh?

I did have my 4 year old granddaughter, Ailani, Carlos' daughter yesterday. She has been asking to come over and spend the night for several weeks. I told her that she could spend the night when she is 5 as I feel she is too young. But after spending the day with her yesterday, I believe she would be fine. We went to the park, she played on the slides, monkey bars, etc. We watched the ducks in the lake, and walked to the dog park. She said she wants to fish, but that she would throw the fish back in the water if she ever caught one! We went grocery shopping for a few things for the week, and she sat in the cart asking for me to hand her the stuff, and she sorted it in the cart for me. We had lunch at McDonald's. I got her a Happy Meal, but when it came time to eat the hamburger, she said she didn't like ketchup, so I tried to scrape it off. Then she said she didn't like mustard, I had already ordered it without pickles. What about some chicken McNuggets, yes...with ranch dressing. She ate it all...and even dipped her fries in it! Its time like these when I don't know their likes and dislikes that I feel like I've failed my grandkids. Aren't these little tidbits that a grandma should know? I've always said I'm not a traditional nana, and I'm not. I thought it was ok not to be "standard". Times are different from when my mom became a nana, and surely from my own nana who I still miss terribly. Anyway, after dinner, I took her home and she said, "I'm going to your house tomorrow, nana?" In a couple of weeks, sweetie, in a couple of weeks!

Glen has been sleeping on the couch for the last two nights because he wants me to sleep better knowing I won't be keeping him up. Translation: I'll sleep on the couch so I can get a good nights' sleep. I slept a good 12 hours last night. I still can't taste my food that well today, and its so frustrating...like why eat when I can't taste! We are going to dinner with Glen's sis and her DH today, The Melting Pot. Guess if Glen doesn't have my germs yet, he will by tonight. Love you, honey :)

Talk soon...

7 comments:

Ken Riches said...

What a difficult time to become separated, and the financial stress surely exacerbated the situation. Sorry you council did not drive Chris to a different decision.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate a parent who can see her own child's faults because coddling your offspring into adulthood does't work too well, BUT, I will say lots of people don't feel that pull to work more than one job, men & women. I always worked more than one job, and many people thought I was nuts & would preach to me about wasting my life at work. I'm not giving your son right, I'm just saying that lots of women I know who've complained about ex's not paying the bills and such don't want to work more than one job, or tell me they are "too tired." So I am sure lots of people around Chris were doing what he was doing and it slowly becomes "acceptable" to some....not right, but common.

I am sorry, Myra, because I can see how this pains you and I am sure you do all you can to help, but ...(((((((( ))))))
~Mary

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
How terrible for all concerned, your son, his wife, the kids. If the financial problems were at the root of all this, a separation certainly isn't going to help. I know a lot of people who start discovering what real financial problems are after the separation ...
Best,
Marty

Beth said...

Sorry to hear you're still feeling poorly, but it does sound like you're on the mend. Take care of yourself!

What a shame about your son and his wife. You tried to give your advice, and did the best you could to get him to understand the consequences. I'm sorry he didn't listen to you, but what more can you do? Definitely not a good time to be looking for a job. I hope his wife and your grandkids will be okay.

Hugs, Beth

cw2smom said...

How sad for your entire family! I find it hard to believe that people won't get counseling! I don't understand that at all! It could be so helpful! You know...I once heard that when one person wants out of a relationship, truly wants out...there's nothing the other party can do about it. I am sorry for your DIL as she must be feeling very desperate and vulnerable in these tough times. Offering up a prayer for them right now! Blessings, Lisa

Senorita said...

Im sorry to hear about your son, and think it is so nice that you are comforting your daughter-in-law.

Your grandkids sound darling. I don't think you should feel like you've failed them. They are young and you are learning. I think all they see is that you care about them and love them, which is all that matters. Especially since the little girl asked to spend more time with you. If you were failing, she wouldn't be asking to see you.

Jimmy's Journal said...

It's hard to find fault with one's own, but if the shoe fits...

Kids today seem to give up easier than in the past. Good luck with Chris. Maybe he'll see the light.

Jimmy