My mom and I attended a Daughter's Day brunch hosted by my friend Marie. There were about 25 women, ranging in age from 7 (ok, these were still girls) to 83. If your mom was unable to be there for whatever reason, a picture was ok. The decorations were various sizes of candles atop various crystal candle holders. The picture was placed in front of a candle. We all stood around the island in her kitchen where all these candles were arranged, and each person spoke about their mom and/or a woman in their lives that impacted, shaped, influenced them. OMG...it was so beautiful to hear each woman speak about their mom or a favorite aunt or a grandmother, who made a difference to them and how each one of us somehow "takes after" a woman in their family. Mom's, grandmothers, aunts, educated or not, english speaking or not, monied or poor, married, or some single mothers back in the 30's and 40's when it was certainly more frowned upon and unacceptable, most of the women were the backbone of the family. One mother, who is 93, and still lives on her own in Kentucky, was blinded by disease 40 years ago, and she still brought up 3 girls, made sure each received religious instruction as well as a college education. I was the second to the last to speak, and by this time I was a blubbering idiot! Just seeing my mom's face made me cry and I was unable to say what I really wanted to say, other than she is my hero, my confidante, my friend, but most importantly, she is my mom. I know I can never be half the mom she is to all her kids, and now to her grandkids and great-grandkids. Marie had a yummy brunch of various quiches, salads, desserts (including a bread pudding that was too die for). We also had to take a wrapped "white elephant" gift, and each got to pick a gift or you could "steal" someone else's if you liked it better. My mom isn't too sociable especially in new situations, but she talked to people, and really made an effort to enjoy herself, and others went out of their way to talk to her too. I know I enjoyed the day, and just spending the time with her was priceless! We went to the mall afterward so she could pick out an outfit, and she ended up buying some Coach shoes! I didn't know Coach made shoes...she said they are very comfortable.
We are hosting a late lunch tomorrow in honor of Mother's Day. My parents, sisters, sons will come over...so after the brunch and the mall, I still had to shop for today! We are having ham, mashed potatoes, salad, a veggie, rolls, various munchies, and pie(s) for dessert. Glen did as much as he could in preparing the house, which I so appreciate! Tomorrow its just last minute details, and cooking and putting it all together. Hopefully I can take some pics to post. Dang, I'm tired just thinking about it!
Just finishing up laundry, just have to iron for the week. I want to get as much done tonight as I can.
Wishing all the Mom's out there a Happy Mother's Day...and the daughter's...a Happy Daughter's Day! Talk soon...
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
what a beautifully written entry, Myra.....it was as if i was there with you!! I am so glad you were blessed with a wonderful and strong mom and were able to tell her yesterday what she meant to you. I hope your gathering today is a happy one! Take pics! Happy Mothers Day to You.
Glad you had that great experience with you mom and that dinner today is fabulous.
Happy Mother's Day, Myra. Enjoy your Sunday "late lunch".
Jimmy
What a great day you were able to share with your mom..
Your menu for todays lunch sounds good..
Hope you have a very Happy Mothers Day!
Sheri
That party is such a neat idea, and it sounds like you all got a lot out of it...when you try to articulate how much your Mom (or Dad) means to you, it's kind of hard to put into words, isn't it?
I wonder if I would have been blubbering too, listening to all the inspriational stories about the women who shaped their life.
Must have been a great event!!
Happy Mothers Day ! That was a touching entry. Women are powerful, and deserve their special day.
I saw the finale of Tough Love. I have a different point of view on the whole thing.
I look at it from the standpoint that Tough Love is a reality show. I really didn't think that most of that show was real at all. I talked to some of the cast members.
One of the women said that all she was told about the show was that it was a fun dating show. She wasn't told that it was a "tough love" bootcamp.
Plus, there was a lot of editing going on. You should read the message boards on vh1.com to see what some of the cast members had to say about the filming process.
For example, it was said that Arian touched her date's privates under the table at the bar. However, her date was on the boards and said that she never touched his privates.
I could go on and on about this show. While I enjoyed the show for entertainment purposes, I did not think it was real at all.
Post a Comment