Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday

I had a massage on Saturday morning at the Massage Therapy School I will attend in July. Did I mention I am going to massage school? I may not have, who knows anymore what I say or don't say! Anyway, the plan is to start school in July. It will take me one year to complete the program doing it part time. No choice, I have to work. I met with an admissions counselor a couple of weeks ago, and I was impressed with the program and with their staff. My very first massage, ever, was by Jessica, a graduate of this very program. In fact, I saw her there yesterday morning and she remembered my name! I haven't been to her in about 5 years or so. She teaches classes there, and also has her own business. Students have to complete so many hours of hands-on work towards their certificate. They do no hands on work until the third quarter. Monica did my massage yesterday, and there are two instructors who are in and out of the curtained area supervising the students. I paid $30 for the massage, and you are asked to give feedback for the students' development. I was very satisfied with Monica's work and gave her a good review. I had a $10 off coupon that I forgot to use...I was actually kind of in a haze or very relaxed mode when I left. Oh, well, that only means I still have a coupon for my next massage...which will be ver soon, I assure you!

Speaking of school, I'm a little nervous. It has been sooooo many years since I've attended school, and getting back into the routine of class, study, etc. Its a huge time commitment, 4-5 days a week, 3-4 hours per night (after 9 hours of work), but if not now, when? I shared my concerns with the counselor and she said their oldest graduate was 79 years old! The lady just wanted to learn something...she wasn't going to practice or work, just wanted to learn. They offer tutoring if you're struggling. Basically, if you want to succeed, they will help you in any way, shape or form, to do so. Works for me!

I picked up Ailani after my massage and had to make a run to Sam's Club. Ailani is 4 years old, and prefaces every sentence with, "nana..." I have to keep a sharp mind on her...I'm so used to shopping alone, so when I have one of the grandies with me or even my mom, I am on high alert. I put her in the cart and she helps assemble the items for me. Sam's receipt shows how many items are purchased. After we paid and I got the receipt, Ailani was counting the items, she counted 10. I told her to count the bread as two even though they were in one bag (they were separate items), I looked at my receipt, it said 12 items. She counted again, 11. I went through my receipt, item by item, and they had charged me for 2 pineapples, and I only had one. There is a person checking the items in your cart before you leave the store, and I told the person, about the mis-charge; she sent me to customer service to get my money back. Thank goodness there weren't that many people in line...it was only $2.96, but still. Had it not been for Ailani counting, I would not have noticed! She counts everything...and names colors! It was so hot outside - going from the A/C in the car, outdoors, into stores, back outside, back to a hot car...this nana was tired when we got home. I told her I was going to rest so I laid on the bed and she sat beside me coloring. She was pretty quiet...letting me rest. When I took her home last night, she was falling asleep herself, so I told her it was ok to fall asleep. She said, "nana, we had a hard day". We sure did...and she was out like a light!

We are taking my dad out for dinner for his birthday. His birthday is 5/22, but weekdays are difficult to get everyone together, and next weekend we have a birthday and a graduation party to go to. We also have a graduation on Wednesday, 5/20 in Gilbert. We'll drive up on Wed, stay the night and drive back on Thursday. We leave for vacation on 5/30...boy, are we ready!!

Talk soon...

7 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Great story about Ailiana :o)

Good luck with your studies.

Heather said...

Cody is going to massage school now. He finishes in September, I think... he's had a 99 average for most of the time and he's not exactly what I would call a star student - at least he's never been before. I think it's different when you're learning what you want to learn, know what I mean?

Happy Sunday!
love and hugs!
heather

slj said...

I have gone for one massage. I couldn't breath with my face down.lol...Other than that it sure felt good.
You will have a lot on your plate, but I'm sure you will do fine. It's nice to know that the school will work with you to help make it happen:)
Don't five year olds just say the cutest things?
Hope you had a good week-end,
Sheri

DB said...

Myra, good luck with your massage training. I can't take a massage. My yin and my yang are all messed up or something and I come out of a massage more nervous and tense than when I went in.

That little Ailani sounds like a treasure.

Beth said...

Myra, so glad to hear that you're going forward with your plans for school! Sounds like a great place, willing to offer you lots of help, so I know you'll do fine. We'll be your cheerleaders! Hugs, Beth

Senorita said...

Good luck with massage school. I went back to school for my paralegal certificate. It was a big time commitment, and it took me two years, but it was so worth it. If you were in the SF Bay Area I would totally get a massage from you.

I am picky, and few people really know how to give a massage.

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
That's so funny ... that Ailani caught the cashier's mistake. I guess the cashier had a hard day, too!
Best,
Marty