Friday, December 11, 2009

Boosting the immune system...

We received a memo from our corporate medical director regarding staying healthy especially during the flu season. Luckily, in our office, only one person has been sick, and that was bronchitis, which can be contagious…twice in 3 weeks!! I have hand sanitizer on my desk, use it frequently, tissues that I sneeze into (and dispose of in the proper receptacle, lest the recycling police are patrolling!). Wash my hands…a lot. Living a healthy lifestyle, eating well, don’t smoke, workout when I can, try to get enough sleep (I know I don’t!)…all help to build resistance to infection.

Anyway, what I found interesting (I’ve read it before so it’s not like we invented it), the notion that random acts of kindness actually boost the immune system! Help out a friend or stranger…open the door for someone, let someone go in front of you in the grocery store line if they have but a few items, let's not even talk about traffic - what about some courtesy (I know I can use this lesson!)…whatever “act of kindness” means to you, display it! Too many times I’ve let opportunities slip by me because I felt foolish for offering to do something for someone…”what if they refuse me”, “what if…” So what?? Let me point out that we/I should practice this everyday, not just the holidays. C’mon…what are you waiting for??

We had a bake sale at work with proceeds going toward local families in need. There are several departments who get together to bake and offer these goodies at very reasonable prices, each baggie is .50, and the items are packaged several cookies/breads in a bag, etc. I picked up some pretzels covered in a light white peppermint icing, a peppermint brownie sprinkled with powdered sugar, some pumpkin bread and some oatmeal cookies (chewy just as I like ‘em!). No, I didn’t eat it all…I shared with my colleagues back on my floor. The homemade stuff flies off the table first, and if you go even 30 minutes after start time, you are left with store bought items. Not that there is anything wrong with that, and I realize people are busy and don’t have time to bake, however, who doesn’t prefer a homemade cookie to a store bought one?? Because I work at a health resort, sweet offerings like this (made with butter AND real sugar) aren’t even offered in our diner or to our guests, rather “healthy” versions are the option. The diner makes a gingerbread cookie, in-house, that is outta this world!!...and its made with organic sugar…so it can’t be that bad for you huh??

Tomorrow’s class is mock clinic where we get to practice all the steps we will need when we actually meet the public next quarter. This is comprised of visual postural assessment, intake interview, an actual 60 minute massage, the closing interview, and saying goodbye. Next week, we bring two clients (people we invite) to the clinic, and do the same. So tomorrow is kind of a dress rehearsal…we even have to dress the part, and we will be graded on the whole package we present. I think I’ve done well in this class, and I haven’t missed any classes so I haven’t given up participation points. When we start clinical duty next quarter, the client (public) will give us feedback at the end of the treatment, which only serves to improve our skills. The Monday class next quarter is special populations clinic where we are partnered with a client who has some type of pathology, i.e., diabetes, fibromyalgia, cardiovascular disease (under control), etc.,and we will work with this same person for 4 weeks designing a treatment plan and executing it. We will be establishing a client/practitioner relationship with this person for the duration of the assignment. I am excited beyond words…I truly believe this is my calling!

It has been cold her in the desert…well, as cold as the desert gets! We had some rain at the beginning of the week, and now we are basking in the sunshine again…albeit 60F or so. There is a street fair this weekend where vendors set up their arts and crafts just in time for the holiday season. I love these types of shows, people are so creative, and getting out into the sun boosts vitamin D production! One time, maybe 15 years ago, it snowed! Brrr....

Talk soon…

1 comment:

Ken Riches said...

I could not agree more about "being nice" and doing small things every day, not just at the holidays.

Good luck staying away from the baked goodies this holiday season, I know that daily workouts help me keep up my resolve.