Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hugs and pie...

The football game last weekend was disappointing...not only could we have won, we should have. Plenty of opportunities we just didn't capitalize on - lost by 2 in the last 4 seconds of the game. We were already on our way to Village Inn for some pie by the time the game ended. The highlight of the game though was the start. It was Davis Monthan AFB day - DMAFB is the local military installation, and also one of the largest employers in southern Arizona. They introduced several men and women who had completed several tours in Irag, Afghanastan, and even humanitarian efforts in South America. It is quite moving to know these people have put themselves in harms way time and time again so that we may enjoy our freedom. The Star Spangled Banner always chokes me up, always has. I've noticed that many more people are actually singing along. At the end of the song, four A-10's did a fly-by...quite emotional. So, I'm a sentimental fool!

My 4 year old granddaughter attends a pre-school for 3 hours a day. Ailani has become quite the social butterfly in the past year or so. For the first 3 years of her life, she hardly said 2 words when she'd visit and seemed to be attached at the hip to her mom or dad. Then Erika became pregnant with Sophia and stayed home with Ailani for 7 months. She blossomed almost overnight. She is quite the talker now! Well, last week, she got in trouble at school because she was hugging a boy - like all the time! I don't know if the teacher just pointed it out to Carlos and Erika or if the little boy complained or maybe his parents. In any case, Carlos and Erika had to have the talk with her about hugging. She didn't get grounded or anything like that, but it was hard for her to understand why she couldn't hug anymore. When asked why she was hugging, she said, "because he's my friend and I like him". Innocence - what other reason could there be?!

My mom is just biding her time until the surgery next week. She is in so much pain. I went over on Sunday, manicured her hands, fresh coated her fingernails, and she was happy. When I asked her if there was anything I could do for her in terms of chores, she said no. I called her Monday morning to see how she was feeling, and she was changing the bed sheets! Oy vey.

I have so much baking to do for Thursday. I'm sure tomorrow night I'll be doing most of it. Haven't done this for a very long time. I'm not a spring chicken anymore! My mom bought the pumpkin pies from Schwann's last year. Its one of those frozen food trucks that still make deliveries. I don't eat pumpkin pie all year because I save it for Thanksgiving. I had a smidge of a taste last year, and I tossed the rest. This year, I'm baking them myself!

Talk soon...

5 comments:

Beth said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Myra!

Ken Riches said...

At least the baking makes it warm :o)

Big Mark 243 said...

That was sweet about Ailani and the boy in her class ..!

Hope Mom is doing well. Prolly was up changing the sheets and calming her nerves ... Happy Thanksgiving!

lisa said...

your mom is gonna be stubborn, huh? I bet you are stubborn too. I hate to think of her in pain. I love it that your granddaughter wants to hug and has that innocence. Too bad it had to be stopped. I hope you and Glen have a happy day tomorrow...enjoy that yummy pie. XO

Jimmy's Journal said...

Busy, busy, busy! Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a great weekend.

Jimmy