Saturday, November 29, 2008
Update on biker...
I forgot to say what happened to the bikers in my previous post. One cyclist was critically injured with life threatening injuries. He has had 2 surgeries to relieve swelling of the brain, and is in a medically induced coma. The other 9 injured cyclists have either been treated and released and/or do not have life threatening injuries. The thing is, traffic is stopped at all intersections, and on many main thoroughfares, traffic is diverted to protect the integrity of the race. We, the morotists know this, it is broadcast, advertised, weeks in advance of the race. This guy made a left hand turn in front of the bike path that had been cordoned off. I am really surprised that there wasn't any police presence at this particular intersection, but that doesn't make his left hand turn any less "legal". Now he may claim he's old (which he is), and maybe even a bit senile (he knew enough to wipe down his car & turn himself in), and that "he didn't know what he was doing" he shouldn't have been driving. Period!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Myra,
That 91-year-old driver should be prosecuted and in my opinion deserves to go to jail. He's responsible for his actions behind the wheel, just like a 30-year-old. We had a very similar incident here in Santa Monica several years back. An 89-year-old plowed into a Farmer's Market and killed ten pedestrians. He got off with probation, believe it or not. As I recall, the judge said that he deserved to go to jail but was too ill ...
Best,
Marty
Hi Myra,
That 91-year-old driver should be prosecuted and in my opinion deserves to go to jail. He's responsible for his actions behind the wheel, just like a 30-year-old. We had a very similar incident here in Santa Monica several years back. An 89-year-old plowed into a Farmer's Market and killed ten pedestrians. He got off with probation, believe it or not. As I recall, the judge said that he deserved to go to jail but was too ill ...
Best,
Marty
How absolutely horrible for all involved! I pray for the bikers to come through those awful injuries! I too believe this man needs to be prosecuted, despite his age. Lisa
I sure hope that cyclist lives and gets much better. I wish they'd throw the book at that old idiot. XOOOX
Post a Comment