Sunday, November 2, 2008

Random happenings...

Last week was pretty uneventful, although I did manage to get a 45 minute walk in 5 of the last 7 days. Alisha and I walk right after work and because we are losing daylight daily, we have to kick it up a notch or two to finish the walk before dark! Halloween evening I got out of work about 1/2 hour early, so we started earlier, and went for a full 60 minutes. I feel like I've gained weight, but the scale hasn't moved up (or down, unfortunately).

Anthony (grandchild #3) turns 6 at the end of the end of the month, but we had his birthday party yesterday at the park. The end of November is too cold to have an outdoor party. It was a rather warm day, and as usual, the event organizer (Anthony's mom) was unorganized. The invite said 12 pm, and when I left at 3 pm, they hadn't even started serving the food! They still had a pinata, cake and presents to open. The sun begins to set about 5:45 pm.

On Saturday evening, we went out to dinner with some friends. Actually, they are our caterer pals, whose tailgate parties we go to before the football games. We've been wanting to get together socially for a while now, and we were finally able to when we were all available. We went to Carrabba's, an Italian restaurant, and enjoyed a nice leisurely dinner.

I finished reading The Choice, by Nicholas Sparks, and now am almost done reading, Make Him Look Good, by Alysa Valdes-Rodriguez. One of the girls at work lent me The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, so I guess a trip to the bookstore is not yet in my future.

I have a roast in the crock pot for dinner, and it is starting to smell delish! We'll have some asparagus, and maybe some garlic mashed potatoes! Mmmm, that sounds good!

Thats it for life in my little corner of the world...quiet and content. Talk soon...

8 comments:

Missie said...

Enjoy your evening.

Beth said...

Sounds like a good week! Most of the time, "uneventful" is very good! ;)

I think that this time of year (at least here where we get wintry weather...but it sounds like you get some chilly weather, too), we all start to feel a little sluggish and want to hibernate. I haven't put on weight, either, but I still feel...sort of heavy, you know what I mean?

Hope the week ahead is a great one for you!

Love, Beth

Ken Riches said...

To bad that the event was not better organized. People need to realize that we do not have unlimited time and that all does not revolve around them :o)

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
I think you'll like Kite Runner ... I recall enjoying that one. I'm currently working on "Three Cups of Tea" (the story of Greg Mortenson, who founded a charity that builds schools for impoverished kids in Afghanistan and Pakistan). The story itself is inspirational but for some reason it's taking me a while to finish the book ... feels more like a dozen cups of tea ...
Best,
Marty

Big Mark 243 said...

Quiet and content ... how underrated that is!

If you are still being 'active' and can record a 'push' on the scale, score it as a win. It is way too easy to gain weight to not take the 'zero', you know?

For some reason, the notion of it being 'chilly' in AZ is lost on me. It was the same way when I was in Carolina and Georgia. What do you guys call 'chilly'? Just wonderin'.

As to the party, that would have grated on my nerves ... I am a little anal on that kind of thing, and I would have ... well, never mind. That is a 'Mark thing', but to be sure, it would have 'deprioritzed' her next hosting event!

lisa said...

oh you are teasing me with the thoughts of the smells of that dinner you made!! Sorry to hear the DIL was disorganized..i hope you didnt go to the party hungry. It gets dark here early early too. XOXOXO

Gem♥♥♥ said...

I liked Carraba's too and the money's worth because they fill up the plate enough for two people.

Halloween was good on our side. Oh, as usual--lots of candies..!

:-)

Remo said...

Mmmm. Carraba's is mighty good fixin's. I always get the steak Marsala and try to get my date drunk on a half-dozen Carrabalini's.