Saturday, November 22, 2008

Make the most of the weekend...

Thanks for all your kind comments about the layoffs. It seems every day some company here or there is laying off tons of people. If so many companies are laying off, where are the laid off people supposed to get jobs?? Due to the high number of people applying for unemployment benefits, unemployment checks are lagging about month. Bills still need to be paid, families still need to eat...its just so sad. Even though I survived this round, if business doesn't pick up, and the projection for Dec-March, our high season, is not looking favorable at all, further cuts will probably be necessary.

I finished reading The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Kaled Hosseini. Both excellent reads. I also finished Sunday at Tiffany's by James Patterson - hmmm, the jury's still out on that one. The premise was ok, an imaginary friend to a child, then returns when she is an adult. Is he an angel, a spirit? It was a quick read, and once I started, I finished. I have way too many books that I've started and haven't finished reading! I have vowed ( well, maybe not really VOWED, as in promised), not to return to the bookstore until I read the majority of the books I currently have. Hey, it keeps me off of QVC and HSN. (BTW, honey I am expecting a couple of boxes from QVC! I was between books)

We were supposed to get together, Alana, Alisha and myself for dinner last night at Alisha's. She made a delicious dinner of salmon, green beans, au gratin potatoes, salad, a variety of desserts and a nice pinot noir. Turns out Alana didn't make it because she "forgot" she was riding in the El Tour de Tucson's bike race today. How do you forget that?? After Alisha went through all the trouble of shopping and cooking, then just say, "sorry, I can't make it because..." She should have said up front that she only wanted to do drinks, which we don't normally do because we have to eat something anyway! Anywho, after dinner we were both kinda buzzing so we went to sit in the hot tub for about 40 minutes. Very relaxing! There was steam rising off the water...we went back and had coffee and dessert! It was an early night, I got home about 9:30 pm or so.

My mom is going to have knee replacement surgery on 12/3. I mentioned a while back that her doctor wasn't taking her pain seriously, and this last time she went to the doctor, he did an x-ray and said, "you have bone rubbing on bone, you must be in pain". No shit, Sherlock! She had the other knee replaced 4 years ago, and now 4 years later, after the chronic pain she's been in, it has taken a toll on her. She will get 6 weeks of physical therapy. She isn't very good about following through on her own, though. She thinks that by getting on the bike and twirling the pedals a couple of times, voila, she's worked out. We are just praying for a successful and speedy recovery!

There are 2 football games left - tonight Oregon State, and 12/6 ASU. It has been a great season, maybe not in terms of wins, but the team has evolved in the last couple of years, that they have a decent record. Maybe even bowl bound...a small bowl, but we haven't been in bowl contention for a long, long time! We'll tailgate with our friends first, have a drink or 4, then go to the game. Glen is going with me, and he will be carrying the gear. It'll be chilly tonight, so extra woolies are in order! Go Cats!

I got a haircut yesterday, and yes it looks different from my normal do, and Glen didn't notice. I pointed it out to him this morning, "oh yeah, you did, it looks nice". Sure, I just woke up! That kind of nice? I wonder if I shaved my head, he'd notice??

Talk soon...

9 comments:

Heather said...

I have been really surprised at how hard jobs are to come by. I thank God every day for my job. I work hard while I'm there to continue to show my value!

I'm curled up ready to watch some football... none of my favorites are on tv today, though.

Y'all have fun and stay warm!
*hugs*
heather

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
I think a lot more people are going to be out of work before the economy gets back on track. I feel the worst for folks who had been working for a company for many years and end up getting let go just at that point of life when it's hard to find another job. It's just terrible, isn't it?
Best,
Marty

Ken Riches said...

Hope you have fun at the game. Sounds like you had a relaxing evening last night, even if one attendee short :o)

Beth said...

I'm also worried about the hemorrhaging of jobs. It's very scary.

Sounds like a fun night with your friend--too bad the other one couldn't make it.

Have fun at the game, and try to stay warm!

Hugs, Beth

Big Mark 243 said...

That is weird of you friend to 'forget' that she had the big competition ... maybe she wanted y'all company more than she thought!

I think I have said enough about the economy and such. I hope you can ride things out.

Because I can be fussy, I would have caught your new hair as soon as I saw it. That is just me.

Gonna try the stuff roll thingies ... prolly subsitute turkey meat for the ham ... see what happens.

lisa said...

I could write all day about job losses here. But i won't.
I hope you enjoyed that game....glad you enjoyed yourself with the hot tub. I was so glad OSU beat Michigan yesterday. XO

Lippy said...

Great idea...we only get so many weekends to enjoy in a lifetime, so no sense wasting any of them.

The job market continues to hang heavy over so many people. I hope that things stabilize at your company so that we don't have to worry about ya. Keep us posted.

Good to see you Myra.

Jimmy

Sage Ravenwood said...

I know Pauls been worried job wise. They plan on making huge cuts in what else...Education and Health Care. God forbid any of our elected officials take a cut instead.

I've been wanting to read the Kite Runner. Like you I have dozens of books I need to read before I make any more additions.

Men, seldom notice things like hair. I once went from a strawberry blonde to black. It wasn't until after dinner, just before bed that Paul realized my hair was a different color. (Hugs)Indigo

Jimmy's Journal said...

I, for one, think you should post a picture of your new haircut (and perhaps tape one to the bathroom mirror for other residents to view lol).

Jimmy