Everything I had to do yesterday, got done! Sam's Club was an excursion into chaos...lots of cars in the parking lot, very few carts left for the people coming in, aisles packed with people who don't know what they're looking for. The one main thing I don't like about going on the weekend, is the taste testing stations placed throughout the store, touting this producte or that. I think people go eat lunch there, because they stop at every single station to pick up a sample. Of course, they leave their cart parked in the middle of the aisle, blocking it for the rest of us. I don't ever taste test anything, but I am amazed how many people do. I had my list, knew exactly what I needed, got it, and walked up to a cashier, not even a line...everyone was still eating!
I got home, dropped everything off, then had to go get groceries! I don't get many perishables at Sam's because its just the two of us and I don't need a vat of this or that. As it is, I picked up some bread, 2-pack, that I'm sure will spoil before we use it. I've tried freezing bread, but I don't like how it gets crumbly when it thaws. I'll use the leftovers for bird food. I ended up making lasagne for dinner as that is what Glen requested. He has been working so much lately, how can I not honor his request?? It actually turned out really good, and now we have lasagne for the whole week! I may have to freeze some of it because I don't think we'll eat it all.
I baked some cookies for the cookie party today. We had to wear a tag with our name and our favorite Christmas toy. Later, when we were having dessert, we shared the story surrounding the toy. Mine was a doll named Velvet. She had a knob in the middle of her back that turned to make her hair lengthen or shorten. I can't say we ever got too many toys, but this one stands out in my mind. Later on we shared our worst gift experience. Mine was pots and pans from my ex. Hmmm, may be a reason he is an ex! I baked oatmeal raisin cookies from the recipe on the inside lid of Quaker Oats, which is the best recipe for this cookie I've ever tried...and I've tried several. Oatmeal raisin is my (& Glen's) favorite cookie...chewy please. I don't like hard, crumbly cookies - overbaked for my taste. Pair an oatmeal cookie with a tall glass of milk...mmmm, mmmm! Anyway, only 2 of us showed up for the cookie party! The hostess had so much food!! She gave us all take away baggies, so now in addition to the lasagne, we have all this other food. Guess we won't be cooking too much this week.
I stopped in to see mom after the party right at dinner time. She wasn't too keen on the chili beans, cornbread, sliced cucumbers and chocolate pudding...so I gave her some of the take away food from the party, and some dessert stuff. She looks really good, is moving around with ease, and cannot wait to go home, which will be on Tuesday, 12/16.
Tomorrow, Alyssa has the holiday concert at school. She has been playing the flute this year, and is enjoying it. I remember from years gone by, first year music students' concerts are mostly noise, but it is important to her.
We had some rain today...yeah!! It was about 50F when I finally ventured out...chilly. I love the smell of burning chimney's...while it may not be good for my lungs, I like it! A couple of weeks ago we saw some neighbors had a bon fire going in their back yard...and they live on one of the main roads! I thought that was against the law...something about pollution...
Talk soon...
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
You 'x-mas gift from an ex' made me smile ... most of your entries do.
I am thinking about getting a club membership to one of the big vat stores ... they would come in handy, here with my father and folks running in and out of here.
And I prefer the big soft cookies ... more chocolate chip than oatmeal. Can't call my BEST gift, but I remember my Mom made sure that she got whatever I put at the top of my list ... the rest was a crap shoot1
Have a good evening!
Hi Myra,
Pots and pans for X-mas?!? I hope you gave him a plumber's helper!
Best,
Marty
Against the law to have a nice fire in the backyard to socialize around? LOL That's just silly.
Bring the rain!!!
Everywhere I'm reading, everyone was doing the food shopping yesterday. UGH.
Mmm, oatmeal raisin...our favorite, too! Followed closely by chocolate chip for me.
LOL at people eating lunch at the taste-testing booths. I bet there are people that seriously do that. Have you ever met that person that absolutely cannot pass up free food?
I guess I'm weird...I love kitchenware and kitchen gadgets of all kinds. A really nice set of Calphalon cookware? Oh yeah babe! LOL
Hugs, Beth
Enjoy your day.
do you get snow where you live? I know it is snowing in places it usually does not snow, like Las Vegas.
Rick loves to eat his way from one end to the other of a store. Not me. Wow, only two showed up? I would love a party like that. Glad to hear your mom is doing better. Much Love
i hope you had a wondeful christmas! and thanks for your kind comments. hugs
Post a Comment