Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday Musings...

My mom had her right knee replaced on Wednesday, 12/3 with a brand spanking new titanium knee!! The 2-hour surgery went as expected. She had the left knee replaced 4 years ago. She is out of knees now, so we're done with that type of procedure. Day 1 post op, she was on some heavy pain meds, Oxycontin and Percocet. Totally out of it, hallucinating, talking weird stuff, reaching for things that were not there, falling asleep instantly. While trying to eat, she would be holding her fork and fall asleep, thus dropping the fork and any food that was on it. I helped her as much as I could, though hospital food is unappetizing, I felt guilty for feeding it to her. It was surreal to see her laying there, knowing this is my mom, yet what she was saying and doing, was unrecognizable. It is so hard watching our parents age. Mom is a strong woman, physically and emotionally, and her vulnerability under the influence of these drugs that were supposed to help her, was very difficult. She wasn't in any pain, though. Day 2 post op, she was doing so much better! Although, at one point during the night, she got up by herself (she does not like to ask for help) using the walker, to go to the bathroom, and when she put weight on the right leg, a pain shot through her, that made her lose her balance. She fell backward but the bed caught her...2 nurses ran into the room and scolded her for trying to get up by herself. The rest of the day was spent doing some therapy and sleeping. By the end of the day, a case worker told her she was going to a rehab center for a "little while", to aid in her recovery. It wasn't an option. I could tell she was afraid, and she didn't say anything then, but when we were alone, she said she didn't want to go to a place that "smelled like pee" and where people were screaming (she watches way too much TV). She arrived at the health center yesterday, and it is a decent place. No room mate yet, but she may get one later today. She looks great, although she is concerned about how her hair looks after laying in bed for so long. When dad walks into the room, he gets a huge smile on his face, it makes me tear up. I don't think she will be there for very long. Her goal is to be home by Christmas...I think she will be home much sooner than that.

Last night was the UA vs ASU football game, "Duel in the Desert". While it wasn't a great football game as far as execution, the outcome was fabulous!! UA is headed to a bowl game for the first time in I don't know how long, 10 years maybe?? ASU has some of the rowdiest fans, next to USC, and the ribbing between the fans is good natured, though when ASU is leading, they can get pretty obnoxious. I would love to go to a game in Tempe, just to experience "their" turf. Glen left the game in the 3rd quarter because he had worked most of the day, and was really tired. I stayed until .08 seconds left...right before the students stormed the field! Many ASU fans had already left as the band played "Viva Las Vegas"!

Which brings me to today...I have so neglected my husband, our home, my chores. I am doing laundry right now...and I do have so much to do, so I better get my butt in gear and git r' done!

Talk soon...

10 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Glad that you are pleased with the outcome of the game.

Hoping you Mom recovers fast and is home for Christmas :o)

Heather said...

*hugs* to mom! That's a huge thing... hope she's back up and running soon!

Yesterday was a great football day!

*hugs*
heather

Anonymous said...

Yes it is hard to watch parents age. My mom just looks so old to me these days. You remember them when you were children and compare them to today and it is like day and night. Glad Arizona won and will be going to a bowl. USC will be in the Rose Bowl once again. This will be this years senior classes fourth rose bowl appearance and sixth game over all in that stadium. Home away from home. Have a good week beautiuful.

Remo said...

Yeah,yeah,yeah...LOL

I'm happy for you guys since it means Stoops will not get fired. He's our best weapon. :)

If I thought I could pull it off, I'd find a way to have you, Glen, Tara & Wayne come up and watch the game in Tempe next year.

Maybe we'll just meet halfway at Picacho Peak and listen on the radio while we BBQ under the stars.

Missie said...

Keeping your mom in my prayers for a fast recovery so she's home for the holidays!

lisa said...

Thank God that bed caught your mom or she could have a broken hip!! I have seen that happen ALOT back when i was an aide. This stay at the rehab center is just a bump in the road..with the support she has from her family she'll be fine. I know it must have been SO scary for you to see her as she was. You are a good daughter! XO

Big Mark 243 said...

I like what Glenn suggested ... sounds like fun!

Time for the love Mom put in to her daughter, to come back. I think it is awesome to be able to do for a parent. I loved cleaning up while my Mom was around ... I don't know what she thought, but I just looked at it as my job, one that I loved doing.

Take care, and bake a sweet for your sweetie, just because you think he is sweet!

Beth said...

I'm glad all went well with your Mom, and I hope she'll be home soon. Pretty cool--your Mom is the Bionic Woman! ;)

Beth

Jimmy's Journal said...

Hope your Mom feels better! Congrats on the UA win.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Hope your mom will get better soon!p