Sunday, December 28, 2008

Paring down...

I need to pare down. No, not pounds, although I need to do that too. I'm talking about bags. I have way too many that I use on a daily basis. First, my purse. I only have what I absolutely need - wallet, checkbook, hand sanitizer, nail file, tissue, cell phone, sunglasses, gum, hand cream, compact, 3 lipsticks plus a gloss, pill box, travel size first aid kit, pen, paper, bag of M&M's (or a candy bar of some type - I'll explain that one later). Then there's my lunch tote that I pack daily for work. Since its soup weather, I'll use a Corningware type soup bowl, a real soup spoon, plus the container to carry the soup. If I pack a salad, there's the dressing to consider, a small bag of croutons; gotta have snacks, yogurt, pretzels, maybe some carrot and celery sticks, crackers. I try to keep my metabolism working by eating every 3 hours or so. My gym bag contains workout clothes, at least 3 different outfits because the weather here is so unpredictable...it may be cold, but it may be warm...never know, but I'm prepared. Then there's my possibilities bag (got that from Heather at the Corset a while ago). The possibilities bag contains items I may possibly need on any given day. An umbrella (duh), a full bottle of water (in case I work out), my daytimer (so I can plan stuff while I'm working), a pair of needle nose pliers (our stapler at work jams...sorry, honey I have the blue handled pair), my camera, a small bag of make-up bare essentials in case I need to freshen up; a small dental bag with toothpaste, toothbrush, gum cleaners, floss, mouthwash (if you've ever worn braces, grungy teeth are nasty...besides I still wear a permanent retainer), at least 2 books I'm currently reading; my dream journal, assorted papers with notes of what not (grocery lists, songs, etc.); some CD's, old mail, several zip loc baggies that I plan to recycle. When I get to work and walk from my car to the office, I carry my purse, lunch tote, gym bag and the possibilities bag. Thats 4 bags - I have 2 arms. Like I said, I need to pare down.

I have this weird habit of craving a candy bar. My favorite is Payday. I'll want it, think about nothing else, until I buy it. But then I don't eat it - because I have it? I don't know why, but I've done this for a very long time. I have a Payday in the cupboard that is more than 2 years old at least. The M&M's in my purse are at least 6 months old, and I probably won't eat them...but they're there...just in case. Luckily, I don't have these cravings very often...

Talk soon...

4 comments:

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
I say good for you for not eating the candy bar ... that stuff is just junk, terrible for you. I'm no expert but after reading-up a bit on nutrition some years ago, it put me off junk food permanently.
Best,
Marty

Ken Riches said...

Good thing you do not live in the winter belt, you would be flat on your back with bags flying everywhere. Good luck with you reduction plan.

Beth said...

By all means, Myra, give yourself a break! That's too much to be hauling around on a constant basis.

I used to carry a backpack as my purse. I had a lot of stuff crammed in there, and when I finally decided to switch to a regular purse, my Mom told me, "I'm glad, Honey. I was afraid you were going to get a hump from hauling that backpack around." LOL

I try to keep things to a minimum now, and when we go on vacation, I cut it down to a tiny purse! Maybe you can keep a lot of those things in your desk at work, so you don't have to haul them back and forth?

Hugs, Beth

Missie said...

Sounds to me like you carry to many bags! LOL

I wish you a happy new year!