My, what a week it has been! First, the election and all the hoopla surrounding that! I started watching SNL Election Bash on Monday, but fell asleep halfway through. It was funny, but I was tired. Tuesday's election, results, and ultimate ending...well, I'm glad its over, now we can get to the business of running the country! Whoever you voted for, I'm just glad you did. Actually, many of us did, and that makes me proud that we exercised our right to do so. The passion of this country has been ignited and I just hope that we can continue to care. Apathy is ugly.
The beginning of the week also marked lay-offs at work. Fifty were marked to go, then the number was upped to 65, there may still be additional if business doesn't pick up. No one from my floor, but downstairs, 2 Project Managers were let go. They didn't see it coming. Ironically, one of the project managers responsibilities now shifts to my director and myself. Details that we never worried about now fall in our lap. I left early on Wednesday with a stomach ache, stress, I'm sure. I wondered, "am I next"? I asked my director, and she said no. Huge sigh of relief, but there were so many others who weren't so lucky. I feel so badly for them. Many of them are single parents. Where are they to find jobs in this depressed economy, and when so many other employers are laying off??? Sad.
Friday night, Glen and I went to the Firefighters Chili Cook-off. All the stations around town gather for an annual chili competition! They have decorated booths with themes running from viking ships, rockets, dragon heads...they get quite creative! I saw a KISS booth this year that was new...the guys were dressed like KISS...they looked pretty real, the hair, platform shoes, and make up...I saw people taking pics with the guys, and there were lots of tongues sticking out! Live music on a stage, people dancing, etc. You get a cup of chili for $1, but they also have nachos, chili dogs, quesadillas, oh and of course, beer & wine! It runs from 10 am to 10 pm, usually the first Friday of November. Its a fund raiser to benefit charities the firefighters support! We usually buy $20 of tickets, and since we don't eat all $20 worth, so we usually find a family hanging around and give them what we have left of our tickets. Why not, they get used!
This morning I started my holiday shopping! Ugh! JC Penney's opened at 6 am, I got there at 7 am, and I was home by 9:30 am. They had a 60-75% off sale! Love me a good sale. Most of the grandkids are done. I get them mostly clothes. I am not the toy nana, and they know that. I'll probably still get them some books each, and I'm done! I picked up a couple of things for myself, too. But I didn't get any shoes! Hmm, now that's just wrong. I may go back...
Glen's birthday is Monday, so we'll go out to dinner today. Glen is a steak and potato guy for sure so we are visiting Lil' Abner's. They serve a 32 ounce porterhouse steak that is HUGE, so big that it comes on its own plate, by itself! Dinner comes with all the fixin's, too! I simply do not eat that much...don't know what I'll have. I wonder if they serve salad :) We'll go out to dinner with Glen's sister and husband tomorrow, Olive Garden.
Talk soon...
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I am happy that all the election ads are no longer running - They had me talking back to the TV.
Happy Birthday to Glen!
I'm going to look around to see if I can find a great chile joke and email it to you. Actually, you may have sent it to me. That's the neat thing about Old Timer's Disease - I meet new friends every day.
By the way, I wanted to tell you that I don't remember as well as I used to. Also, I don't remember as well as I used to.
Jimmy
Hi Myra,
I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs at work. Sad to say, but no one is "safe" anymore. I'm guessing that you work on the "executive" floor which probably means you're a bit more safe than some of the others, I hope.
Best,
Marty
That 32 ounce steak sounds awesome! I am craving red meat. We're having chili for dinner tonight... with alllll the fixin's! I might even make a pie if I can get myself out of my nest.
Have a great weekend and Happy Birthday Glen!
*Hugs*
heather
I fell asleep on SNL, this election season has been a pyschological drain on my batteries.
Fear the Turk. Avoid him at all costs. Hate to hear mention of layoffs, but they come.
Cook off sounded like fun as did the sale a Penny's. Would have went to both if I were around!
YES!!! SOOOO many people came out to vote this time around. My Hubby was scheduled mandatory overtime in case of riots in Oakland (he is a deputy Sheriff) The Sheriff's department thought that either way, there would be rioting in Oakland. If Obama won, they would riot in VICTORY, if he lost, they would riot in protest. Fortunately, all was quiet in Oakland. But NOW...the Prop 8 debate is really the one making riots out here NOW! Street rally's, rioting, craziness and chaos. Every day we hear something new about protesting for or against and more those protests turning into riots. It's NUTS!!!
OMG on the layoffs at your work. How scary. To be blindsided like that...and not have the job security you THOUGHT you had. I will be praying for you. That is so scary. That is one thing my hsband always talks about his job. He always has job security. There are always stupid people out there committing crimes...thus securing his job. LOL.
YOU just gave me a GREAT IDEA for a fundraiser for the little league! That chili cookoff sounds so cool! Oh I know the coaches and teams would SO go for it! Each team could do a booth and we could do it for closing ceremonies. Oh I am Soooooo going to bring it up at the next board meeting!!!
CHRISTMAS SHOPPING ALREADY!!!!! {slap}
LOL,
Jen
Glad your job is safe :o)
Just checking in with your journal since my trip. So sorry to hear about all of the lay offs....it's just sad everywhere. I'm glad your job is safe though...phew!
I'm so glad the political ads are over, I seriously could not take anymore of it...what a waste of money in a nation of people hurting for it. UGH!
Happy Birthday to Glen...ohhh that steak does sound yummy!
Pooh Hugs,
Linda
I'm so sorry to hear about the layoffs at your job...I remember you mentioning that it looked likely. I hope everyone will be able to find another job, but I know this is a very uncertain time.
Your chili cook-off sounds fun! How many different kinds did you try? Do you like it really hot, or mild, or in-between? I tend to make mine mild and almost kind of sweet, so Ken has to dump in a bunch more chili powder!
Happy early birthday to Glen! Hope he has some stretchy pants to wear...!
Hugs, Beth
i am slobbering over here reading about ALL that food. Rick and i would be in heaven with that chili cookoff. Yummy. Congrats on keeping your job and also the sales you found. This economy is just too terrible to even imagine. XO
This election has gotten so much voter turnout it's amazing. Paul said even the kids at school were aware of the voting process.
The Chili cookoff sounded like fun. I need to get my Christmas shopping done soon. (Hugs)Indigo
I found you, Myra!! Wow, you have a lot of partying going on out there! Happy birthday to everyone!
Sorry your company is experiencing layoffs. Hopefully they will be temporary.
Post a Comment