Friday, December 12, 2008

Bring on the weekend...

Here it is the end of the work week...Friday! Work continues to be slow, head count that is. For me, in the Executive office, it never ends. The administration of the business continues, and that is our role. Our CEO sent out a couple of articles earlier in the week about the affluent shopper, and how even they are holding on to their money. The article appeared in Newsweek, and refers to Fifth Avenue in NYC, the half mile from Rockefeller Center to Central Park, where the crowds are sparse this holiday season. Even the tree in Rockefeller Center is a mere 72 feet, compared to 84 ft. in 2007. Bergdorf Goodman's is cold calling shoppers with deep discounts. Of course a discount of 40% on a wool sweater marked down from $1075 to $649 is a deal you just can't pass up! One may have to show their portfolio to even gain access to the store! The writer quipped that the salespeople can tell whether you can afford to shop there by looking at your shoes!

There was another article in Newsweek about high-end spas feeling the pinch of the economy. There is a spa in Paradise Valley, AZ that offers a catnap on a heated platform, followed by a black soap body cleansing. then the steam room, a deluge of freezing water, a Spanish whirlpool and sauna, finishing up with a 90 minute massage, for $350. At another spa, there is a facial that uses lime tonic, pear, poppy seed, grapefruit, cucumber and plum...for a facial? I'd want to taste it first! How about an Eight Hands Massage (4 therapists each massage a limb). The premise of these high end businesses is that while we can't control the economy, we can control how we react, breathe, eat and think. People are not getting any younger or any less stressed,

Back to reality in T-town...Glen and I went out to dinner tonight. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in Oracle Junction where the portions are huge, the food is spicy and the margaritas are frozen! My face was numb after just drinking half...I didn't even finish the salt all the way around the rim! I'm not feeling any pain right now, but I may have a tinge of a headache in the morning.

Glen works tomorrow. He has worked every single day since the middle of November due to the computer upgrade and conversion of inventory in to the new system. I plan to hit Kohl's at 6 am (ok, maybe 6:30), and finish the last few things I have to get. Then I'll go visit mom in the rehab center and give her a manicure. She wants pink nail polish this week. I'll come home, bake a few dozen cookies for a cookie party/potluck I'm attending on Sunday! Somewhere in all of that I have to find time to do laundry, get groceries, go to Sam's Club, clean the house, and cook a nice dinner for Glen. Oh, and there is a the winter street fair that I love to go to, and haven't for the last couple of years due to something else coming up. Whew...no wonder I'm tired on Monday's!

I've worked out 11 days out of the last 12 - half way through the fitness challenge of working out every day in December. I have to tell you, walking the 2 mile loop at noon has been rough! It just doesn't cool off during the day. On the contrary, today it was 78F during my walk. On the return portion of the loop, the trail runs parallel to Sabino Creek, which is dry as a bone right now, and even with all the dead vegetation, it was so humid! Or maybe it was the long sleeve shirt I was wearing...in any case, once you are on the trail, you are committed to going all the way. I suppose I could turn back, but that would defeat the purpose of "working out". I don't think I've lost any weight or pounds...but I do feel good, and my clothes is fitting better. At least I can breathe.

Talk soon...

8 comments:

Remo said...

You sound busy as ever. I hear you about the daytime weather. We're freezing when we go in at dawn and sweating when we get off.

GO BYU!!! LOL

kelly said...

wow..I'm worn out just from reading all you have to do..LOL.. have a wonderful weekend...
Kelly~

Beth said...

Your margarita...? I'll have what she's having! LOL Mmm, sounds yummy! (But on the rocks, please!)

I'm also enjoying the workouts. I don't really notice much of a difference yet, but it just feels good to be doing something! I bet by spring, though, I'll be much more toned.

I hope you find time to relax this weekend!

Hugs, Beth

Ken Riches said...

Sounds like a busy time, which is good in this economy. Hope you can find some down time this weekend.

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
That's funny -- sales clerks size you up based on your shoes. I guess it makes sense, in a way.
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

Why wasn't I invited for Mexican food and MARGARITAS!!!! Have a good Sunday.

*Tracy* said...

came across your blog so wanted to say hi! hope your weekend is going great! hugs

lisa said...

something new is happening at my job. When we go get our paychecks we are asked to please give one can of food for the paycheck. Never before have they asked that. Many many many of my coworkers are only eating once a day. So, i hear about a $600 sweater and i just shake my head. What foolishness when so many are now homeless and hungry and i talk of working people. I am so thankful i have a job. I hope you have a wonderful day with your mom...i know she'll love that pink polish and seeing YOU.
Also, on Sunday, my employer is supposed to be having the biggest sale EVER...with deep discounts on food and TV's and such.
i want to come there and have a margarita with you. i could use one...two....or more. LOL
Love you Lots