In my previous life, I used to get sick every Christmas. A few days before the holiday, I’d start to get a sore throat, feel feverish, stuffed head…by the time the 24th rolled around, I was miserable with a full fledged, all symptoms (and then some) cold! I tried hard to power through Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, so as not to ruin it for the kids. It almost became a running joke, if mom’s sick, it must be Christmas…that was the only time of year I would be sick. Of course, the ex would get mad, fuel the fire with the kids by telling them “mom ruined Christmas”, and even accused me of getting sick on purpose!! The holidays were so stressful for me, pressure to buy, buy, buy, no money to buy, no one understood that, except me because, while I tracked the checkbook, he would withdraw money all the time, not tell me, and any money left over was to pay the bills. Sometimes and usually, it wasn’t enough. Perhaps I did get sick on purpose, not that I purposely contracted germs, rather just running myself ragged trying to do everything because I had to. I baked, decorated, wrapped, cooked, cleaned…I was a domestic diva, though I didn’t feel like one at the time. Not to mention I was in a miserable relationship I felt had no resolution other than to continue…hey, wasn’t everyone like this? I’ve been out of that toxic environment for over 11 years now, and I still don’t like the holidays. I don’t feel quite the stress of years gone by, but so many of those feelings still persist, the nagging voice from the past still echoes in my head, and while I don’t pay it too much mind, it does surface every year, I acknowledge it, and let it go. Really, what else can I do? Oh, and I haven’t been sick for the holidays in about 11 years now!
We made 46 dozen of tamales! That is 552 units. Wow…that is the most we’ve ever made at one time. We wanted each person to have 10 dozen, my mom got 15 dozen because we all go over on Christmas Eve and tamales are part of the meal. We used the kitchen counter to assemble vs the kitchen table, and it really helped because it is a little higher and you don’t hunch over quite as much. Because in massage school I really have to pay attention to my body mechanics, I’m not that tired today, or even last night. I made an effort to shift the weight on my feet often, not locking my knees, sneakers with socks (good support), and taking a break about every 90 minutes. My sisters chose not to take as many breaks, they wore house slippers (no support, hello!) We started at 9 am, finished by 6 pm. Mom finally went home at about 5 pm, only when we insisted. I know she was exhausted, her back was hurting. She’s 74…she has to understand she can’t do what she did, even a few years ago. She was a trooper though, and of course, she loves to dish out instructions!
I work all week, except Friday, and rumor has it that Thursday is a half day. I have so much to do still. I have lots of wrapping to do, which I absolutely despise doing. I toned it down this year…each of the grandkids got a book and an outfit…still, 6 grandies, and that’s quite a bit of stuff. They get so many things…its really obscene! Both my daughters in law, though make an effort to clean out last years’ stuff and donate to friends or the many charities that can use the help.
Talk soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I think that your physical ailing was related to the ailing of your spirit. Being in a draining relationship will do that to you. For instance, my health improved once I left Mookie Dee.
Too bad you didn't let it slip out you were making tamales for the holidays ... I'd have put in a request for some!!
Glad that you no longer dread the holiday, and that the tamale party went better than previous. Your new profession has already paid off.
Have a good night and stay healthy. Christmas is only a few days away now! LOL
I certainly understand what living in such a stressful situation can do to your physical health.
Oh my gosh, that's alot of tamales.lol..Good thing you used what you have learned in school to take some of the aches and pains out of the process..lol..
Have a Blessed Christmas and Holiday Season.
Hugs, Sheri
I assume you're making Tex-Mex tamales. Here, in Miami, the Cubans make their version of tamales, but I don't like them. They don't have any meat inside and they don't wrap them in corn husks.
I like the Tex-Mex tamales a lot better but you have to drive 50 miles to find anyone who knows how to make them.
Jimmy
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Hugs, Sheri
Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
Hugs, Sheri
I know how hard it is to expunge bad times from your thinking, memory holds on to them. But if you are not suffering the illnesses any more that's a positive thing. I wonder about my own bad memories and wonder if they will ever vanish. I suppose not, but living comfotably and in a healthy way with them is a good choice.
DB
I think your body was trying to tell you something! LOL @ we don't always listen; do we? So proud of you for making so many tamales. What's your address? LOL... tiptoeing over to grab one and wishing I was fast enough to snatch a dozen instead! LOL
Happy New Year, Myra! Wishing you the best in 2010.
Post a Comment