I am so ready for the weekend! Actually, I was ready on Monday morning when the alarm when off, but hey, thats a technicality! Work has been so stressful. Due to low house counts, and low projections for future heads in beds, we have begun to re-organize some departments. One of my very dear friends had her hours cut in half, effective Monday. She is a single mom of two kids, and my heart just breaks for her. She will definitely have to find another job. I am in the Executive offices, and work has been very slow for us too. I've heard some old timers say that this is even worse that 9/11 when we took a huge hit. I am trying not to be negative but when it is happening all around me, its just hard. You may remember that I was layed off from my last job in 2006, after being there for 8.5 years. I used to work for AOL, until they decided to take all member services off shore. Now, 2 years later, well, need I say more?? The worse thing is that losing a job now...who is hiring?
We are going to the UA vs USC game tomorrow. Even though we are an underdog in this contest, I am hoping it is at least a game. We will tailgate with several different friends...who knows, I may not care who is even playing!! Good thing Glen is going...need someone to carry the stuff!
My mom had knee surgery in April of this year for a torn miniscus. I took both mom and dad to the surgery, and gave them a ride home after the procedure. I found her doctor to be rude and condescending. Both dad and I were in the prep room with her, while the nurses explained the procedure, and the doctor blazes in, never acknowledged my dad or I (not that he had to I suppose, but a good morning would have been nice!). He barely talks to mom, he pokes his head out of the doorway into the hall and asks if anyone has seen his iPod, he can't do surgery without it. A nurse hands it to him and says, "I didn't know it was yours"...he rolls his eyes. Anyway, my mom has been in chronic pain since then, still. She has tried to see a different orthopedic doctor, but her insurance won't cover it. They are on a fixed income, and cannot afford to pay out of pocket. She had a follow up last Thursday, and my sister went with her. We thought that maybe mom just didn't understand what she was being told. My sister said mom asked all the right questions, and he prescribed another pill for her. Mom takes 14 pills a day (diabetes, HBP, anti-inflammatory, who knows what else)! When my sister asked him to address the root of the problem, he said, "I just gave her the answer, a pill". My sister asked why not try a different therapy since she already takes an anti-inflammatory. He kinda rolled his eyes, and said something to the effect that a knee replacement was to be the very last option to consider. Meanwhile, mom's pain is robbing her of a quality life. We'll have to get together to find another option because this is not going to work. Makes me wonder how many people just take their doctors word because they are a doctor, and don't question his diagnosis, especially since they are the patient and know what they are feeling!
Talk soon...
Friday, October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
It sounds like you guys have done all that you can as far as trying to deal with that doctor... I would look for any type of appeal board or options to go over his head... it's not just about bedside manner... a pill is never an answer. Have they checked to see that the previous surgery was successful?
And I'm with you on the whole Friday thing. I love my job and I'm glad to have a job because it could have taken FAR longer for me to find something than it did... but I miss my leisurely afternoons.
Tailgating sounds awesome! I love being around people who are passionate about ANYTHING and football fans are some of the most passionate people anywhere! Have a great time and eat something sinful in my honor!
*hugs*
heather
Methinks the said "doctor' may have his cranium up his gludeus maximus. Obviously, he never met Marcus Welby.
Jimmy
I know LOTS LOTS of people who have had knee replacements and major knee surgeries and half of them are STILL in pain a dozen years later...many having repeat surgeries....they felt so much better in the beginning but it all went back to pain later on so i am so sorry your mom is going thru this.
I hope your job picks up. The economy is SCARY, SCARY for almost everyone i know right now. XOXO
I think I'd start looking into a different doc for your Mom. He obviously is an uncaring boob, and there is no excuse for such rudeness. He is unresponsive to your concerns, and if you have a chance to provide feedback to the hospital or physicians group this guy is in, I'd make sure they get an earful! What a jerk!
I hope things improve at work. It IS scary for a lot of people, and people are cutting out a lot of luxuries. That's sad about your coworker. I hope she can find something. :(
Hugs, Beth
I'm always ready Monday morning for the weekend. LOL Have fun at the game and don't get mad at me for rooting for the favorite! Take care.
I'm with you on being ready for the weekend on Monday's... always ready for the weekend..LOL... Hoping all gets better for your mom.. thanks for stopping by my journal..
Kelly~
The doctor works for the patient. I do not hesitate to question them, even if it's just so I can better understand the situation. Good luck to your mom!
Post a Comment