Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Clean bill...

I had a physical today, probably the first in 4-5 years, blood work, the whole deal. Guess what?? I'm healthy!! Well, except for a few glitches, like high cholesterol, which I'm taking meds for. High blood pressure, meds. GERD, you guessed it -- meds! What I should say is that I am as healthy as I can be considering my age and heredity. I've tried controlling the HBP and cholesterol with diet, but it wasn't working as quickly as my doc would have liked, and he attributes the condition(s) more to genetics than my lifestyle. Diabetes also runs rampant in my family, and while I can put off meds for now by maintaining my weight, regular exercise, diet, etc., I have some good med-free years ahead of me. He also suggested some chondroitin for my arthritic (or soon to be) knees. I've noticed when I haven't worked out, that is when my knees start to tighten up...a sure sign that I must keep moving! I had a bone density test a couple of months ago, and he says my bones are at about age 35, and I'm 50! That is surely a good sign. So while I'm not 100% healthy, I am as good as I'm gonna be! Perhaps I should drink to that...

Work has been kind of slow lately due to poor house counts. Some departments have been asked to cut their already slashed budgets, and they have even started sending hourly people home, voluntary, of course, at least for now. Most of you know I work at an upscale health resort/spa, very expensive. The company won't compromise the guest experience, but what about the people that make the place run? We have families and obligations too! I hope business picks up soon or at the least, maintains.

Talk soon...

7 comments:

Marty said...

Hi Myra,
Great ... health is the most important thing. As for work, well, having your health sort of puts it in perspective, doesn't it?
Best,
Marty

Ken Riches said...

Glad you have a clean bill of health :o)

Beth said...

Glad you got a good report back on your physical. I'll drink to that! (grin)

I hope things pick up soon at work. I think right now everyone is a little scared about what the future holds, but I think it will ease up a bit soon.

Hugs, Beth

Linda said...

I'm so glad you got a clean bill of health....it is so important! It seems everyone is cutting their work force, it's pretty tough out there. I guess we can just all hold on and pray for things to turn around.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Big Mark 243 said...

I can't remember the name, but I did see a story on a uber fancy spa in Arizona ...

I feel the same way when I take a break from training, that I 'stiffen up', and I simply don't get around as well. I will NEVER consider not trying to stay fit.

Good to know you got 15 years on your bones! And you gotta drink to that, but just one drink!

Missie said...

I'm glad you got a clean bill of health.

lisa said...

I pray your job stays stable for you...most in the U.S. do not have any money and are losing everything they have daily in the stock market. SO glad you got a good clean bill of health too!!!!! XO